Thursday, February 25, 2010

Go Mao Asada!

I realize that by the time anyone reads this that the Women’s Free Skate may already be over and you will all know who won. But since it hasn’t happened yet I’m going to post a quick update about it anyway. Also it gives me an excuse to try posting a youtube video on my blog. ^_^

I love figure skating. It’s one of my favorite sports to watch. And if I could go back in time and participate in one sport that I never got a chance to try as a kid it would be skating of some variety. I’ve only been ice skating a handful of times in my life (darn you Texas and your usually nonexistent winters), but I really enjoy it. But since I can’t do it I settle for watching others. I will admit that it gets slightly more frustrating as I get older. When I was a kid I could look up to the Olympic skaters and their success. Now a lot of them are younger than me, but I try not to let it make me feel inadequate.

I talk about the Winter Olympics almost every day with my students. They are now all aware of my love of figure skating. One of my students asked if I cheer for team Japan or America and I told her both. And that’s super true in women’s skating. I have followed a little bit of figure skating through the last year. It’s pretty popular in Japan (especially the women since they have top skaters at the moment) and I’ve been able to catch several competitions on TV. And in the very first one I watched I fell in love with Mao Asada. She is adorable and just looked so happy out on the ice. I was an instant fan. Here is the routine I saw. (If the double video is too much for anyone another version can be found here with English commentary.)



I love how she nearly falls over at the end. And I like even more that she is able to laugh about it. The music is wonderful and her costume is one of the best she’s had in my opinion. She did a variation on this routine for her Olympic short program, but I honestly think this one is better. The footwork at the end of this one is just magical to me and reminds me of dancing (she originally trained in ballet and I think it shows here). But I suppose when the program was altered from a free skate program to a short program they had to cut some things. And at the NHK she was in front of a home crowd and probably not nearly as nervous as being at the Olympics.

Mao is really popular here (although Miki Ando is close behind her) and it would be hard to live here and not be a fan. I like Kim Yu-Na too, but Mao is my favorite. I really don’t know much about either of the America skaters but I wish them luck. We’ve seen a come from behind gold medal before, so it’s not impossible. But I’m still cheering for Mao to win a medal. Most of all I am hoping that all of the skaters enjoy their Olympic experience. I know I will enjoy watching them.

1 comment:

  1. You don't know much about the American skaters? Or most of the boys? *Gasp!*

    They are the bestest though! I'm part of this lj comm ONTD_Skating and OMG it is ALL ABOUT Johnny Weir, Evan Lysacek, Plushenko and Stephane Lambiel. After that kind of content it's super weird to see someone be so invested in the girls!

    But OMG none of them are going to worlds ;___;

    ReplyDelete