Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Getting Physical


I’ve been uncomfortable in the teacher’s room before as one of the teachers berates a student for something.  Normally it involves some yelling and a kid nearly in tears.  Today took things to a new level.  I have no idea what was going on, but one of my 8th grade boys came in and was talking to his homeroom teacher (who yelled at him last week.  During that conversation I caught the word “lazy” several times).  I left the room and when I came back the two of them were talking to the head teacher.  Then the P.E. Teacher, who is also linked to the 8th grade class got involved.  I’ve never seen him so angry.

I was sitting at my desk, desperately trying to distract myself from the spectacle before me.  The boy already looked on the verge of tears and I really thought he was going to lose it once the P.E. teacher went off on him.  He yelled loudly at him, which any other student walking by the teacher’s room could have heard, and then he pushed him.  I was convinced I hadn’t seen that at first.  I thought maybe he had just backed up because it was an intense situation.  But then he pushed him again.  And a third time. 

I understand that there are some kids who need the fear of god put into them by someone in order for them to straighten out.  But this boy is not that type.  He’s a shy, quiet boy.  I can’t imagine anything he could have done that excused that kind of behavior. 

I know that my reaction to this is greatly colored by my own culture and that it isn’t my place to judge.  But it made me incredibly uncomfortable and it was really hard for me to just sit there and not do anything about it.  I’ve wanted to go hug kids after they have been berated by teachers, but this was a lot more than that.  He did not hurt the student.  The pushes were forceful and serious, but only enough to make him take a step back.  He bumped into one of the desks and knocked some things over, but that was the worst of it.  Still, the idea of a teacher laying a hand on a student who didn’t seem to have it coming really bothered me.  I’m almost afraid to ask what he was being yelled at for.  I’m not sure if they will even tell me as it could be a private matter. 

I’ve only seen a teacher get physical with a student one other time.  In my first year here I went with the Japanese teacher up to the 9th grade classroom for lunch.  She asked one of the boys to go downstairs and get my lunch.  The boy made a big deal about it and threw out his arms and yelled “Shit!”  The teacher, who was one of the nicest ladies I have ever met, promptly smacked him in the head and told him off for such inappropriate behavior.  The student calmed down and went and got my lunch.  Later, when we were brushing our teeth in the teacher’s room the Japanese teacher told the art teacher about what had happened.  She was really embarrassed by the whole thing, mostly because it had happened in front of me.  She turned to me and smiled apologetically and said, “Amanda-sensei.  Not every day.” 

At the time I thought it was a great thing.  He had totally deserved it and she had not struck him hard.  Just enough to get his attention and let him know that he had crossed a line.  But the student today didn’t seem to have done anything that required such a reaction.  He wasn’t talking back or not paying attention.  He already looked like he was going to cry, implying that he understood the seriousness of whatever was going on.  But I have to trust that the teachers involved know the situation better than I do and try to put it out of my mind.

6 comments:

  1. Thank goodness I have never been stuck in that position. I have worked in some tough schools, but nothing like that. I cant say I would know what to do in that situation given your position. I know it must suck though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a former elementary school teacher, I am very interested in your blog. I visited an elementary school in Yusuhara on Shikoku while I was in Japan doing research recently. Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I just published Japan's Tipping Point: Crucial Choices in the Post-Fukushima World as a short ebook and hope you will take a look at it. A paperback will be available soon. For info, see www.markpendergrast.com. I could email you a review copy. Here's an overview:

    Japan's Tipping Point is a small book on a huge topic. In the post-Fukushima era, Japan is the "canary in the coal mine" for the rest of the world. Can Japan radically shift its energy policy, become greener, more self-sufficient, and avoid catastrophic impacts on the climate? Mark Pendergrast arrived in Japan exactly two months after the Fukushima meltdown. This book is his eye-opening account of his trip and his alarming conclusions.

    Japan is at a crucial tipping point. A developed country that must import all of its fossil fuel, it can no longer rely on nuclear power, following the massive earthquake/tsunami/nuclear disaster of March 11, 2011. Critically acclaimed nonfiction writer Mark Pendergrast went to Japan to investigate Japan's renewable energy, Eco-Model Cities, food policy, recycling, and energy conservation, expecting to find innovative, cutting edge programs.

    He discovered that he had been naive. The Japanese boast of their eco-services for eco-products in eco-cities. Yet they rely primarily on imported fossil fuel and nuclear power, live in energy-wasteful homes, and import 60% of their food. That may be changing in the wake of the Fukushima nuclear disaster. Maybe. But as Pendergrast documents, Japan lags far behind Europe, the United States, and even (in some respects) China in terms of renewable energy efforts. And Japan is mired in bureaucracy, political in-fighting, indecision, puffery, public apathy, and cultural attitudes that make rapid change difficult.

    Yet Japan is also one of the most beautiful countries in the world, with friendly, resilient people who can, when motivated, pull together to accomplish incredible things.

    As an island nation, Japan offers a microcosmic look at the problems facing the rest of the globe. And as Japan tips, so may the world.

    Mark Pendergrast, the author of books such as For God, Country and Coca-Cola, Uncommon Grounds, and Inside the Outbreaks, entertains as he enlightens. As he wrote in Japan's Tipping Point: "The rest of this account might seem a strange combination of critical analysis, travelogue, absurdist non-fiction, and call to action. It might be called 'Mark’s Adventures in Japanland: Or, Apocalyptic Visions in a Noodle Shop.'"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I would like to ask you a question about working for another site alongside you own blog, please email me at contact@emwe.co.cc, even if you are not interested please email me saying so, it would be muchly appreciated.

    Many Thanks
    Niall Gibson
    CEO at East Meets West Entertainment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor kids :(



    www.japanonomics.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, unless you're there its hard to get a complete picture, but I'm also a teacher in Japan. As foreign language teachers we often only see a very small part of what's going on with students, while HR teachers (and PE teachers are often responsible for discipline since they don't have as many responsibilities as HR teachers) are responsible for almost everything the kids do. It could have been they were trying to get the student to respond, to take charge and think about his future. It could have been he did something very serious, It could have been so many things. I would talk to your supervisor, or the teachers involved to get a better understanding of the situation. It could be a good chance for cross cultural communication, and help you understand your teachers, and them you.

    Hope you figure it out! I look forward to reading more.
    www.morethingsjapanese.com
    @morethingsjapan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Packers And Movers Ahmedabad - We Provide ***Best Service Providers, Safe, Reliable, Affordable, Trusted ###Movers and Packers in Ahmedabad List, Household Shifting, Office Relocation: Choose Top Verified Packers and Movers Ahmedabad Compare ???Shifting Service Chrages, Price Quotation, Rate List Charts and Save Money and Time @ Packers and Movers Ahmedabad

    ReplyDelete