Tuesday, January 25, 2011

An Extra Helping of Whale

So yesterday a friend of mine mentioned on facebook that she ate whale during school lunch. Today I casually glanced at the school lunch calendar and, as fate would have it, we were having whale today!

The key word here is くじら

Many of you have read my previous post about eating whale, and for a looong time it was the most popular post on this blog, which I was not expecting. Unlike last time I was expecting what was set before me. And this time they asked me if I knew what it was BEFORE we started eating. AND THIS TIME I GOT PICTURES!!

Probably not as epic as you were expecting...

Because I know you were all dying to know what my whale looked like. It was prepared differently than last time, and it wasn’t as tasty this time around. It was a bit hard on the outside, but it tasted like meat and wasn’t too bad. I asked a bunch of the kids if they like whale and got a variety of responses from turned up noses and “nos” to “so-sos” to emphatic “yeses.”

This time I got a little more of an explanation as to why we were eating whale. I mentioned to my teacher that my friend had also had whale. It seemed a bit too coincidental that both of our schools had decided to have whale in the same week. He told me that this week is the anniversary of the school lunch program. Because of this, we have special menus all week. Our menu today was similar to what they had for lunch sixty years ago. They used to eat a lot of whale for lunch at school so now once a year we do as well. My teacher said that school lunch is the only time he has whale, so he only eats it once a year.

There are a few other activities during school lunch week. The students write thank you letters to the staff who prepare school lunch. Yesterday (at my other junior high), several of the school lunch ladies came to eat with the kids. Eric told me that one of his schools once sang a bunch of songs about how good the food was for the school lunch staff. It’s a nice gesture for the kids to remember that other people are working hard to provide them with a nice meal at school and a good opportunity for them to show their appreciation.

4 comments:

  1. That's really interesting, both in that whale is a school lunch and because school lunch meat nuggets look the same all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mystery meat is no longer a mystery, then...

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, I don't know if I could eat it... lol. unless I didn't know what it was, then I'd probably be fine :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...that may explain all the visitors we had last week, coming to eat school lunch with us. There were 5 minute speeches from 4 people droning about the hard work that goes into school lunch and how delicious it is.

    I was laughing to myself because we sat around with food in front of us for 20 minutes and we were wasting time praising deliciousness as the food got cold...

    ReplyDelete