Thursday, November 4, 2010

Drugs are BAD!

So I saw this story while researching for my Mid Year Seminar presentation on Japanese Pop Culture (also known as the coolest presentation topic EVER) and thought it was interesting enough to repeat. I also think that it provides an interesting contrast to the post I made before about drugs.


So there was a Canadian actor who played a pretty small role on a Japanese drama called “Rymoaden,” which is a dramatization of the life of a legendary samurai named Sakamoto Ryoma. He played a British seaman who is killed by samurai in Nagasaki. The episode aired on October 31st. After it aired a concerned viewer contacted NHK and informed them that the actor had been arrested on September 10th for possession of marijuana. The episode had been filmed in August and NHK had not known a thing about it. The episode will air again on Saturday, and, when it does, the actor’s name will be removed from the credits.

That is how serious drug possession is here. No one wants to be associated with you in any way, and you don’t even get credit for things you have done. Why anyone would take a chance on something like this is beyond me.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how it will effect relations with the US if Pro 19 gets passed. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most delayed response ever... I know Japan already doesn't allow many drugs that you can get in the US over-the-counter into the country such as anything with a stimulant or codeine. I imagine if anything changed it would probably be stricter searches in airports to make sure that people are not bringing the drugs into the country. But honestly I have no idea how Japan would react to that.

    ReplyDelete